Tuesday, November 2, 2010

THANK GOD IT'S…TUESDAY?



T.G.I.T.!!  Doesn’t quite have the same ring to it, now does it?  I doubt you’ll hear the question, “Is it Tuesday yet?” repeated much around the office, either.  THAT, my friends, is precisely why I’ve decided to write a story in defense of Tuesday!  (That, and the fact that apparently it lacks the conviction to stand up for itself.)  I truly believe Tuesday has not been fully appreciated in the lives of many…most, I’d venture to say.
Tuesdays have simply been overlooked.  However, considering that Tuesday literally represents 1/7th of our lives, or slightly over 14%, (I did the math myself after Googling how to convert a fraction into a percentage!) I’ve begun to change my thinking and have been, as of late, anticipating and celebrating my Tuesdays!  Let’s face it, Tuesdays have gotten a bum rap.  Whether negative or positive, all of the other days during the week have a role, a position, a niche in life.  In my mind, Tuesday conjures up images of that skinny guy on the beach who always got sand kicked in his face by the bodybuilder.  (If that commercial was before your time, my sincere apologies.)
Monday – The first day of the work week.  It may not be the most anticipated or enjoyable day of the week, but at least it has that going for it!  Many times Monday is included as part of a holiday three-day weekend, thereby forcing Tuesday to step up as a pinch-hitter and take the wrath as the dreaded funsucker day after the long weekend.  (It was also the host of Monday night football, a noteworthy trait whose reason for mention in this article remains undetermined.) 
Tuesday – uhm… well.  (I couldn’t even give it enough accolades to deserve a bold font.) 
Wednesday– This day holds the deed on some prime real estate whose plat lies smack dab in the middle of the work week.  The day even has its own nickname: “Humpday,” used in the context of climbing a proverbial hill to get through a rough week.  (Tuesday doesn’t have a nickname.) 
Thursday – Though it isn’t the end of the work week, people look forward to Thursday due to its proximity to Friday.  Thursday has it made.  Many times when Friday is included in a three-day weekend, Thursday becomes the pinch-hitter for Friday and therefore, receives all the awe and admiration usually bestowed upon that day. 
Friday – This lucky day holds esteem and power.  It is equivalent to the CEO of the work week.  (I believe if Friday were to take on a life form, it would have tremendous confidence and an inflated ego.)  There are few who don’t relish Friday, being the last of the five days that makes one work weak.  Even the famous nursery rhyme, chimes:  “Friday’s child is loving and giving…”  (Probably because it’s typically a payday.) 
Saturday – Need I say more?  Just repeating the word makes your mouth curl in a subconscious smile.  Saturday – I even smiled as I typed the “S” anticipating the letters that were coming afterwards – quite possibly is the most popular day of the week.  That is because the wordSaturday has become synonymous with the word fun.  Fun happens on Saturday.  Weddings, parties and picnics are planned on Saturday.  In fact, I’m surprised they didn’t just go ahead and name it, Funday.  (This may have been a deliberate oversight to avoid confusion, as it would have then rhymed with its successors…i.e., Friday, Funday, Sunday, Monday.) 
Sunday – Day of worship for many, and rest for most.  Sunday has a reputation as a respected, revered and well-regarded day.  Fine lunches are often planned on Sunday.  If days were coins, Sunday would be the most valuable.  It is, after all, the only one of the seven days whose first syllable commands such respect on the celestial sphere that others must orbit around it. 
So, aside from casting votes for politicians we will later regret, what does Tuesday own that is special and unique?  A travel site states that, according to their web site statistics, Tuesday seems to be the most popular day amongst office goers for daydreaming about their next holiday or vacation.  That, in itself, says a lot about Tuesday. 
Of course, there is always the voter’s Super Tuesday, history’s Black Tuesday and Mardi Gras’ Fat Tuesday…but what about just plain ole’ Tuesday?  It doesn’t have a reputation of its own based purely on the generic day itself.  It wouldn’t even qualify for a decent parking space in a workweek parking lot — it would probably be the space in the back…under the trees…where the birds congregate. 
Given that the average life span is estimated anywhere between 70 and 80 years, that grants us approximately 3,900 Tuesdays.  Following this pattern, I’ve spent around 2,444 Tuesdays with about 1,456 remaining, if I’m so blessed.  (I’m wondering how many of my readers are trying to calculate my age at this point…) 
My point is, from now on, I intend to look forward to each and every Tuesday.  I intend to make special plans on Tuesday.  I plan to make the next 1,456 Tuesdays so memorable that they make up for the 2,444 Tuesdays I’ve simply overlooked or counted the hours until I could mark from my calendar.  In fact, if I was granted a wish, I’d ask to have all those Tuesdays added back to my life’s account…and take the opportunity to live them once again.  
I vow, on this lovely Tuesday afternoon, to never take a Tuesday for granted again!  
Happy Tuesdays!
                                            Linda Ellis 2010
         

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE LINDA ELLIS! She's a wonderful writer and poet. I thought I would share this Tuesday poem with you on this lovely Tuesday afternoon.
    Happy Tuesday!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda has to learn fractions to percentage but she writes nice stuff.

    I'M ALIVE AND IT'S TUESDAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too...I was wondering about that...but math is not my forte!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete